WP Issues CRM expects upload files to be in .csv or .txt format or a similar format that includes rows of values separated by a delimiter.
- It will not accept files labelled with extensions other than .csv or .txt.
- With .csv files, you probably will have smooth sailing without touching any settings.
- Usually, you will need to set the delimiter to “Tab” for a .txt file.
- The enclosure character wraps around fields that might include a delimiter — for example, an address line in a comma delimited file would appear as “123 Main St, Apt 1” — the enclosure with double-quotes prevents the uploader from splitting the address line into two fields at the comma.
- You will rarely need to set the escape character. That is the character used to indicate that a character that would otherwise be taken as an enclosure should be read as literal. Back-slash is standard, but is often present in files when it is not intended as an escape character. An example would be when the enclosure character is a single quote and a name has an apostrophe in it (also represented by a single quote).
- In case of doubt, view your file in any text reader to identify the delimiter (character between fields), enclosure (character surrounding some multi-word fields) and escape (read-next-as-literal character).
- You will rarely need to change the line length setting. Increase it to accommodate large text fields (for example the body of an email). The default setting is 5000 characters simply to catch file conditions where a delimiter is missing and the uploader is reading fields as merged.
- WP Issues CRM saves all data in the UTF-8 character encoding. Several common character encoding translations are offered. Note that the standard MySQL implementation of UTF-8 does not support emoticons. These will be rendered as question-marks.
In this initial upload step, you should not need to worry about any individual field formatting issues. WP Issues CRM loads all data to an initial staging file in which all fields are treated as plain text with a maximum length of 65,535.
Tip: If there is a mysterious upload failure, the first thing to try is loading your file into your favorite spreadsheet and spitting it back out as a .csv file. Sometimes files include formatting glitches that a spreadsheet load will resolve.